jeudi 8 décembre 2011

Interview with Doyle and The FourFathers

Doyle and the FourFathers is at the moment on tour with The Undertones, but during one of their day off, they kindly answered to some questions for me! Here we go.



First of all, can you introduce me the band?
We have Ben Clark on the Electric Guitar.
Michael Goozee on the Bass Guitar.
Alex Urch on The Drums
and I am William Doyle, singer and acoustic guitar.

How did you all meet and where did come the idea to put all your talents together?
We met at College but we didn't start to play with each other until afterwards. Most of us had been in previous bands and collaborated with each other on different things. I was making solo stuff for a while and wanted a backing band for some new songs I'd written so we could perform live. It didn't take long before it turned into a more collaborative effort between 4 friends.

Important question: Why did you choose this name for the band?
There used to be 5 of us and so it used to be me (Doyle) and 4 others. We're down to 3 others now but by the time that happened we'd already had the name for a while and we'd started to make a bit of a splash. We just stuck with it. Inevitably, we get asked about the elusive 'fourth father' all the time. We usually think up who it might be on the spot in which case. Maybe one day we'll actually have a real one…


You're from Southampton like the band Band of Skulls, do you like their music?
No.

How would you describe your music?
We usually go for 'Alternative Pop'. That seems to be the most accurate classification so far. Not sure how long that will remain true.


Can you tell us what the most important thing, music brings you? And how did you (all of you) decided one day to become a musician?

Will:I thrive on music. I can't do anything else at all well. Being able to create it just gives me an outlet that helps me to understand, reinterpret, recontextualise and appreciate the world and culture around me. I started playing guitar when I was 10 because I started to listening to bands. After realising the unique experience listening music gave to me it was quite a natural thing to want to create it too.


Alex: Music brings so much. I couldn't pin it down to one most important thing. It conveys different emotions in the simplest way possible. It is the best form of teamwork, and it personally gives me a sense of purpose.
I became a musician due to the number of talented musicians in my family. I guess i was always going to play an instrument as I grew up, and there just happened to be a drum kit in the house when apparently I had a lot of energy to vent and when I wanted to play an instrument.

Ben: Harmony. That is the most important thing that music gives me: not necessarily chordal homophony, but rather moments of peace and realisation. I think I first decided to be a musician when I scribbled on a page, eyes shut, at primary school, and upon showing the drawing to my teacher, he told me that it uncannily resembled the Scottish Radio Symphony Orchestra.

Mike: More Bass, insomnia. Also, I like a challenge.

What would you do if it was impossible for you to play music?
I think I'd just end up being a writer instead. So pretty much just doing 50% of what it is I do already. Just without the music. That'd be a sad state of affairs though, wouldn't it?

In 2010, you played the ‘Save 6 Music’ protest gig in London, how had you been involve in this gig?
We heard the station was shutting down and we were outraged. We managed to adhere ourselves to the campaign and got to know some of the organisers. They were having a protest with some bands at it and we got asked to play. We happily obliged.


You also played a live session on the BBC6 Music Show for Marc Riley, one of the most famous DJ of the station, how did that happen?
Ben sent him a CD with a Post-It note that Riley found endearing. Then he listened to the CD and realised it was actually decent. He's been a fan ever since!


Thanx to that session, your fanbase suddenly get bigger. What was your feeling when that happen, and what's your reaction when you realise that someone just discovered you and is already a huge fan?
It's hard to judge if your fanbase increases at all, especially at our level... We still play to one man and his uninterested dog on occasion. But when people do see us, we only ever get a good reaction which is so very encouraging and just continues to spur us on.


I know you found your inspiration in the differents artists/musics from the last 60 years but can you give me someone who really inspired you?
Radiohead. The Fall. David Bowie. Pulp. It's hard to formulate a big list, really. We all listen to and inspired by different things and people.

You played in several places in England, what's your best memories?
Every city is different. We've had a lot of fun on tours in the past. I'm not sure if we have any specific memories that are worth sharing above any others though. We'd need to have a whole separate interview about the various hijinks that ensue. The north west is usually where the best gigs occur. Going on tour with The Undertones this year has offered up many amazing experiences and the chance to play to some great crowds.

And have you find the most addicted fans?
We have one fan who has seen us 70 times now. Pretty amazing!

Is there a place, a country or a venue where you would really love to play?
Paris!

And is there an artist with who you would love to collaborate?
I think I'd find it quite terrifying to work with any of my heroes. Maybe Scott Walker could produce our 3rd album or something? That'd be cool.

You've released a full album this year, what was the kind of reaction you had in the fanbase and in the music industry?
Our fanbase seemed to love it. The music industry apparently did not. Shame. We worked hard on it. It's a year later now though so we're just on to the next thing. Keep working.

Do you use your music to help send a message?
With these new songs we're just about to put out on our Olympics Critical EP - yes, there is a direct political message. I think it's important that bands use their outlets to speak about important things, otherwise you've just got a load of people with nothing to say. That doesn't help anyone.

Do you have a « favorite song » in all the songs you already wrote? Mine is « when will the children learn? »...
I think Shape & Form is the best thing we've done so far.

Talking about this song, who had the idea of the videoclip and how did you find those little boys?
I can't remember who came up with the idea. The boys were our manager's nephews and friend's sons. It was all good fun.

I also really love « the governor of Giving Up », this song always makes me think of a western song. Is it what you wanted people to think about it?
I suppose there is a galloping rhythm that evokes images of horses running or something. We used a horse on the single cover. But overall, no. There was no intention to make people think of that.

You're gonna have a new EP out next year, could you give us some hints about this new songs?
They are 4 songs which we recorded on a boat called Lightship 95. They all take on a bit more of a political stance than anything that the band has produced up until now. I felt that next to no young bands were talking about anything important when all of this stuff was happening around them so I decided that we should make a bold and somewhat brash statement to really open the floodgates. I don't think we lost our sense of humour with it though. That's an important thing to keep a hold of.

Give me 5 words to describe the band:
Ben. Will. Alex. Mike. Rock.

William, could you sing in another language?
See 'L'Enfant Terrible' on our upcoming EP! It's only a phrase though. I would like to do a whole song in French. I don't really speak it at all though.

What was the 1st ever album you bought, and what was the 1st ever gig you went to?
OK Computer by Radiohead was my first album. Good stuff.
Muse in Bournemouth was the first gig. What a massive shame.

Alex: I cant remember the first album I bought for myself, which is a little sad… but it would have been around the time I went to my first gig. Which was Feeder, at the BIC in Bournemouth. I can only remember vaguely standing in the audience gazing up at the first huge band I'd ever seen in awe. 'Comfort in Sound' is still a good album for its time I think, and it's probably the first 'rock band' album i got into growing up, so i still enjoy hearing it every now and again.

Ben: I still listen to the first album that I ever purchased. The Cure's 'Disintegration' was a present to myself, on a high towards the end of term. It must have been one of the most exciting moments of year 6. I can't remember my first gig as I was on the road a fair amount around that time.

Mike: First album: Now That's What I Call Music 44.
First Gig: Motion City Soundtrack in Portsmouth and I loved every minute of it

Is there, in you ipod, a song/album, you should be ashame to own, but can't delete from it?
I am not ashamed of anything I like, luckily. There's some questionable stuff in there but luckily I am not ashamed of it. Okay, maybe Phil Collins' Big Band Sussudio but it's only there because it's one of the most hilarious pieces of music ever performed.

Do you have a message for your fans/supporters?
Thank you so much for your unrelenting support. We hope we continue to deliver.






Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire